Rob,

That cryptic error is saying that it expected a binary value type for the
field 'ish' ("binary" is a data structure in Erlang) but instead got an
empty list.  Do you by any chance have the exact data which is causing the
issue?  If you can isolate the data causing the problems then attach to the
riak console and run the following.

    redbug:start("riak_solr_xml_xform:xform/1 -> return").

Then in another window try to index the data.  Copy the riak console output
and mail it to me.  My guess is something is getting parsed incorrectly.

-Z