Oh, I thought the rule was "if you have one more node than your n_val, then
you can be sure each replica will be on a distinct node" - is that not
correct?

Also with n of 2 I would wonder how you would handle r and w - my guess
would be you *could* set them to 1 each, and just deal with possible
consistency issues if you lost a node. But it would be 'weird' in that you
wouldn't really have a quorum to make - it'd be "whoever is up right now
wins". And then - when the downed node comes back - you might spit back
inconsistent answers until AAE fixes up your data. Read-repair would *not*
end up fixing your data up, because the r value of 1 would be satisfied.
Does that sound right?

I'm asking not only for the original poster; but to make sure I understand
what I've got here for myself too!

-B.