hi Jared,

this is interesting…

I have repeated all your steps and getting the same issue as before:

s:~ romanshestakov$ cd Development
rs:Development romanshestakov$ wget
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.basho.com/riak/1.4/1.4.2/osx/10.8/riak-1.4.2-OSX-x86_64.tar.gz

--2013-09-17 20:12:48--
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.basho.com/riak/1.4/1.4.2/osx/10.8/riak-1.4.2-OSX-x86_64.tar.gz
Resolving s3.amazonaws.com... 205.251.242.150
Connecting to s3.amazonaws.com|205.251.242.150|:80... connected.
Length: 27081322 (26M) [application/x-tar]
Saving to: `riak-1.4.2-OSX-x86_64.tar.gz.1'

100%[==================================================================================================================>]
 27,081,322   521K/s   in 57s

2013-09-17 20:13:46 (460 KB/s) - `riak-1.4.2-OSX-x86_64.tar.gz.1' saved
[27081322/27081322]

rs:Development romanshestakov$ tar -zxf riak-1.4.2-OSX-x86_64.tar.gz
rs:Development romanshestakov$ cd riak-1.4.2
rs:riak-1.4.2 romanshestakov$ ./bin/riak chkconfig
Error reading /Users/romanshestakov/Development/riak-1.4.2/bin/../etc/app.config

I am on MacOs 10.7.5

weird … will use riak-1.3

Regards, Roman