Dear all,
After a quick glimpse at Riak, I must say I like it: DHT with masterless design
and gossiping protocol, that is appealing. More than maintainability or
configurability, I am interested in scalability. I have looked at the node
adding process for fine scaling, but for scaling big (over the long term) the
necessity of resizing the ring (in order to double the number of partitions)
seems unavoidable to me.
On Github, the v1.4 changelog seems to indicate that the "ring resizing
feature" is now merged in the release (notably from riak-core#301); however,
the official documentation for v1.4 (on docs.basho.com) still states that
"ring_creation_size" is only configured a install time. I understand that ring
resizing is not by itself a scaling mechanism, but
if you keep scaling out, sooner or later you will reach the limit. So I would
like a bit of clarification on it:
- is this feature officially released as part of 1.4?
- if yes, is it a stable feature, is it ready for production? if not, is
it still under ongoing development?
- if it was released as unstable, what is your experience with it?
- in your opinion, can the problem be simplified if we only consider scaling
out by doubling the ring size?
Also, independently of ring resizing, what do you consider the current limits
of ring_creation_size? I have seen mentioned that 2048 and higher could
importantly increase the volume of gossiping, what is your experience with it?
I hope you will be kind enough to provide me with some enlightenments. Kind
regards.
PN

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net