Guido,

The attached spreadsheet is best for 1.4.  Not sure how I missed getting it posted to the web-site.

Riak admin only reports memory usage as known by the Erlang virtual machine.  leveldb is outside Erlang's awareness.

The best memory measurement on a Linux machine is the /proc/<process id>/status file.  I typically monitor the VmData value.

Riak 1.4 greatly simplifies the memory management calculations compared to Riak 1.2/1.3.  But that does not mean it is easy.  The memory management for Riak 2.0 is completely changed.  You will only have to assign a total memory amount to be shared by all vnodes and leveldb will automatically split the memory wisely between the vnodes and each vnode's file cache and block cache … coming soon to a download near you ("soon" is measured in months).

Matthew