Backing up LevelDB data files can be accomplished while the node is running
if the sst_x directories are backed up in numerical order.  The undesirable
side effects of that could be duplicated data, inconsistent manifest, or
incomplete writes, which necessitates running the leveldb repair process
upon restoration for any vnode backed up while the node was running.  Since
the data is initially written to the recovery log before being appended to
level 0, and any compaction operation fully writes the data to its new
location before removing it from its old location, if any of these
operations are interrupted, the data can be completely recovered by leveldb
repair.

The only incomplete write that won't be recovered by the LevelDB repair
process is the initial write to the recovery log, limiting exposure  to the
key being actively written at the time of the snapshot/backup.  As long as 2
vnodes in the same preflist are not backed up while simultaneously writing
the same key to the recovery log (i.e. rolling backups are good), this key
will be recovered by AAE/read repair after restoration.

Backing up the LevelDB data files while the node is stopped would remove the
necessity of repairing the

Backing up Riak Search data, on the other hand, is a dicey proposition.
There are 3 bits to riak search data: the document you store, the output of
the extractor, and the merge index.

When you put a document in <<"key">> in a <<"bucket">> with search enabled,
Riak uses the pre-defined extractor to parse the document into terms,
possibly flattening the structure, and stores the result in
<<"_rsid_bucket">>/<<"key">>, which is used during update operations to
remove stale entries before adding new ones, and would most likely be stored
in a different vnode, possibly on a different node entirely.  The document
id/link is inserted into the merge index entry for each term identified by
the extractor, any or all of which may reside on different nodes.  Since the
document, its index document, and the term indexes could not be guaranteed
to be captured in any single backup operation, it is a very real probability
that these would be out of sync in the event that a restore is required.

If restore is only required for a single node, consistency could be restored
by running a repair operation for each riak_kv vnode and riak_search vnode
stored on the node, which would repair the data from other nodes in the
cluster.  If more than one node is restored, it is quite likely that they
both stored replicas of the same data, for some subset of the full data set.
The only way to ensure consistency is fully restored in the latter case is
to reindex the data set.  This can be accomplished by reading and  rewriting
all of the data, or by reindexing via MapReduce as suggested in this earlier
mailing list post:
http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2012-October/009
861.html

In either restore case, having a backup of the merge_index data files is not
helpful, so there does not appear to be any point in backing them up.

Joe Caswell