Cool, I went ahead and created an issue a little while ago:
https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/issues/811

It's not so much of a blocker for us, because the product team working
with custom partitioners and Riak. It's just something that people
might want to keep an eye out in the future when using MR, or
riak_pipe directly.

As as side-note, is there information around querying Riak directly
with Riak_pipe; I imagine it has some of the same downsides as
mapreduce. We're primarily using it as a method to avoid the
read-modify-write overheads on writing to Riak, and multi-key,
partition-specific reads (utilizing targeted 2i, because we know the
coverage as we know the partition key).

Has anyone else here done this in production?