Toby,

Since data inserted into the AAE trees while versions 1.4.4 -> 1.4.7 of
Riak were running was incorrect, they should be discarded before the
upgrade.  You are seeing them valiantly trying to repair themselves based
on the incoming writes, but that activity is wasted since they require a
full scan of the data to be useful again.  We are going to add a paragraph
to the release notes to warn others about this and make sure the
anti_entropy directories are cleared before Riak is updated to 1.4.8 and
AAE is enabled again.  We recommend you disable AAE, remove all AAE trees
(the contents of the anti_entropy directory) and enable it again during a
period of low cluster activity.  They will all be built again and you
should be back in business once that the new trees are ready.

Engel