Ingo,

Maximum size involves more components of Riak than my specialty area of
leveldb.  So I did some asking around the engineering room.  The word back is:

- 1M is a typical, recommended maximum,
- if you care about worst case latencies (tail latencies), should stay below
100K
- if you really, really care about latencies, stay below 10K

Matthew

On Mar 24, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Ingo Rockel <ingo.roc...@bluelionmobile.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> thanks for the Infos. What is the maximum size of objects which I can store
> into riak without the need of splitting them and without suffering from
> performance issues?
>
> Best,
>
>       Ingo
>
> Am 24.03.2014 13:55, schrieb Matthew Von-Maszewski:
>> Ingo,
>>
>> We regularly test Riak and its leveldb backend with 130k objects as part of
>> our performance and qualification tests.  Works just fine.
>>
>> The one thing to remember is that with N=3 redundancy, the bandwidth between
>> the nodes will approach 3 times the incoming user bandwidth.  Make sure your
>> network infrastructure is ready between your nodes (servers).
>>
>> The 130K testing is based upon the loads created by one of our enterprise
>> customers.  You can read details of that use case here:
>>
>> http://media.basho.com/pdf/Voxer-Case-Study.pdf
>>
>> Matthew
>>

>> On Mar 24, 2014, at 7:22 AM, Ingo Rockel <ingo.roc...@bluelionmobile.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I'm currently evaluating the possibilities to migrate our mysql-based image
>>> storage to something which actually scales and is easier to maintain.
>>>
>>> Among different distributed file systems (like ceph, openstack swift) I was
>>> looking at riak as we already have a riak cluster for storing our users
>>> messages.
>>>
>>> As we are only storing quite stripped down versions of our users photos,
>>> the average size of the photos is only about 30-40kb, there might be some
>>> above 100KB though. But all are less than 1MB.
>>>
>>> As our objects are quite small and I don't need anything besides getting
>>> the binary for a key I want to use riak without riak CS. Is this a good or
>>> bad idea?
>>>
>>> The current storage (which needs to be migrated) in MySQL has about 35
>>> million entries which consume 1.1TB of space.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or suggestions?
>>>
>>> Ingo
>>>
>>> --
>>> Software Architect