Gavin,

Riak stores bucket properties separately from key/values, along with other
metadata about the cluster. Where these files live depend on your platform
and configuration. By default, there will be a directory named "ring" in
the same directory that contains either the "bitcask" or "leveldb" data
directories depending on the backend you chose -- this also assumes you
haven't change the location of these directories in the config.

Jordan