I've gone ahead and opened up an issue on the riak_kv github project:
https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/issues/959 - as it appears like this
is an actual bug. My preference would be that when
riak_kv_ensemble_backend is booting up, it initiates manual AAE sync,
so I don't have to wait for AAE exchange to occur, as on a real
cluster, this might take a while.