You really should have some level of IP filtering to prevent people
from connecting directly to your BEAM / EPM instances, but even if
they do have the ability to make a TCP/IP connection, they have to
know the distributed Erlang cookie in order to connect. More on this:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/distributed.html - See,
section 13.7. You can actually use inet_tls for communication between
your VMs to ensure authenticity of clients, as well as
confidentiality.