Hi Matthew,

so is there a awy to improve the compaction rate in Riak < 2.0 or do I
have to upgrade to 2.0 to get this?

Cheers
Simon

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 06:30:30PM -0400, Matthew Von-Maszewski wrote:
>    Edgar,
>    This is indirectly related to you key deletion discussion.  I made changes
>    recently to the aggressive delete code.  The second section of the
>    following (updated) web page discusses the adjustments:
>        https://github.com/basho/leveldb/wiki/Mv-aggressive-delete
>    Matthew
>    On Apr 6, 2014, at 4:29 PM, Edgar Veiga <edgarmve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      Matthew, thanks again for the response!
>      That said, I'll wait again for the 2.0 (and maybe buy some bigger disks
>      :)
>      Best regards
>
>      On 6 April 2014 15:02, Matthew Von-Maszewski <matth...@basho.com> wrote:
>
>        Edgar,
>        In Riak 1.4, there is no advantage to using empty values versus
>        deleting.
>        leveldb is a "write once" data store.  New data for a given key never
>        physically overwrites old data for the same key.  New data "hides" the
>        old data by being in a lower level, and therefore picked first.
>        leveldb's compaction operation will remove older key/value pairs only
>        when the newer key/value is pair is part of a compaction involving
>        both new and old.  The new and the old key/value pairs must have
>        migrated to adjacent levels through normal compaction operations
>        before leveldb will see them in the same compaction.  The migration
>        could take days, weeks, or even months depending upon the size of your
>        entire dataset and the rate of incoming write operations.
>        leveldb's "delete" object is exactly the same as your empty JSON
>        object.  The delete object simply has one more flag set that allows it
>        to also be removed if and only if there is no chance for an identical
>        key to exist on a higher level.
>        I apologize that I cannot give you a more useful answer.  2.0 is on
>        the horizon.
>        Matthew
>        On Apr 6, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Edgar Veiga <edgarmve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>          Hi again!
>          Sorry to reopen this discussion, but I have another question
>          regarding the former post.
>          What if, instead of doing a mass deletion (We've already seen that
>          it will be non profitable, regarding disk space) I update all the
>          values with an empty JSON object "{}" ? Do you see any problem with
>          this? I no longer need those millions of values that are living in
>          the cluster...
>          When the version 2.0 of riak runs stable I'll do the update and only
>          then delete those keys!
>          Best regards
>
>          On 18 February 2014 16:32, Edgar Veiga <edgarmve...@gmail.com>
>          wrote:
>
>            Ok, thanks a lot Matthew.
>
>            On 18 February 2014 16:18, Matthew Von-Maszewski
>            <matth...@basho.com> wrote:
>
>              Riak 2.0 is coming.  Hold your mass delete until then.  The
>              "bug" is within Google's original leveldb architecture.  Riak
>              2.0 sneaks around to get the disk space freed.
> [...]

Simon Effenberg | Site Op | mobile.international GmbH

Phone:    + 49. 30. 8109. 7173
M-Phone:  + 49. 151. 5266. 1558
Mail:     seffenb...@team.mobile.de
Web:      www.mobile.de

Marktplatz 1 | 14532 Europarc Dreilinden | Germany