I don't have benchmarks to discuss query performance for different tools at
different sizes, but I'd like to point out that the ultimate search tool
for Riak is to not search at all.

Riak Search, 2i, MapReduce are all capable tools, but they don't scale
nearly as well as straight key/value requests, and it is often possible to
model your data around the latter.

I covered this in https://basho.com/riak-development-anti-patterns/ and the
next edition of Eric Redmond's Little Riak Book (http://littleriakbook.com)
will have more discussion on the topic, but if at all possible, create your
query results as reports as the data is ingested, instead of attempting to
find it all later.

-John