So, if I'm interpreting your message correctly, you're executing the
following steps, with the following steps, in order?
1. Key delete, X -> success
2. Key list -> yields a set, which contains X
3. Key fetch, X -> 404 / missing

I'd first ask why you're doing key listing. That's an anti-pattern.
You're going to get stale data that way. Alternatively, you could
probably set your delete_mode to immediate, and assuming the entire
preflist is available, it should result in key cleanup immediately.

If you want to simply reset your cluster, turn off all your Riak
nodes, and delete the bitcask directory, and the AAE directory. That
should "clean up" the cluster appropriately.

As far as your question if it's okay to delete an old backend - the
answer is yes. You should be able to delete /var/lib/riak/leveldb/* if
it's no longer in use.