Thanks for clarifying this aspect Russell. Given the fact that this is per
element op and not for the whole set, I think it would work for our
scenario: each actor posting a new element in the set  will try to trim
the excess elements (> 1000) from the set and add its own. In this case,
Riak will potentially see multiple deletes on the same set of  element(s)
or possibly deletes on an already deleted elements. Since we are removing
from the tail and adding to the head, if there are greater than 1000
actors concurrently adding and removing, we can expect that the set will
be greater than 1000 but should trim itself down eventually.  That is, we
never have the case of someone trying to delete and someone trying to add
the same key. Works for us for now (TM) :)

The 1000 entry limit meets our business scenarios and also falls far short
of 1-2 MB per object recommendation for Riak, so we can take the hit on
peak loads.

Would be nice if Riak automatically enforced the automatic trim feature
though in the system. Will look at those bounded CRDT papers soon.

Thanks,
Shawn