Thanks for the info.

The model looks reasonable, but something I would worry about is the
availability of the key data.  For example, the timestamps and msg-ids should
be known without key-listing Riak (which is always a very slow operation).
There is several options for this, you can either maintain your own index (Riak
CRDT sets work very well for this), use 2i, or Riak search.

The other thing I’m worried about is something I’ve run into with my data.  If
you create a key per message as you have indicated, your key size can be very
small, and you end up aggregating thousands of keys for any reasonable query.
For pulling large amounts of data out of Riak, try to keep key sizes between
about 100KB and 1MB.  Riak is still very responsive at those sizes, and there
isn’t much parsing overhead even if you are only interested in one of the
messages.  For me, that means grouping data into fixed 5 minute blocks.  It
will obviously vary depending on message size and number of messages, but I
wouldn’t go with a key per message unless the messages are >10KB.  Grouping by
timestamp also gives the advantage that any client can know the keys to query
in advance since they are fixed.  You said a 10 minute range is ideal, so if
you can manage to group your data into 10 minute keys, that would likely give
the best performance when querying.

For grouping data, I would recommend using Riak sets and serialised JSON
strings.  As long as you don’t have exact duplicate messages, it works very
well, and allows Riak to resolve conflicts automatically.

As far as those aggregate metrics (for graphing and alerting), I would
definitely store those in a separate bucket, and group them by 10 minute
intervals.  The full data keys should only be used for unplanned queries (Riak
MR jobs), and anything you know you will need should ideally be generated when

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason