Alex,

Maps and Sets are stored just like a regular Riak object, but using a
particular data structure and object serialization format. As you have
observed, there is an overhead, and you want to monitor the growth of these
data structures.

It is possible to write a MapReduce map function (in Erlang) which  retrieves a
provided object by type/bucket/id and returns the size of it's data. Would such
a thing be of use?

It would not be hard to write such a module, and I might even have some code
for doing so if you are interested. There are also reasonably good examples in
our documentation - http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/dev/advanced/mapreduce

I haven't looked at the Python PB API in a while, but I'm reasonably certain it
supports the invocation of MapReduce jobs.

Bryan