Alex,

We require bucket types for the write-once feature for the same reason we
require them for datatypes or strong consistency: this is a property that
changing after data has been written could have undefined behavior. Making
there be an explicit creation/activation of the bucket-type ensures that
the behavior on the namespace created by the bucket-type never changes.
However, old or "default" buckets may be changed at any time -- meaning we
can't ensure safety of any property changes.

Sean Cribbs <s...@basho.com>
Technical Lead, Riak
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/