Bitcask keeps all the *keys* in RAM. That's like an index in database terms.
So even if you have 9Gb of data, you should only have a tiny fraction of
that in keys, in memory.

So you might have some other problem going on there?

Riak uses quite a bit of memory for LevelDB buffers, by default, so maybe
you're seeing something like that?

-Toby