You're getting a runtime load error because your are likely not linking against
the right C++ runtime (because you built with gcc).  IIRC the GCC C++ runtime
and the C++ runtime that ships with Darwin are not ABI compatible.  Welcome to
C++.

You might try hacking your environment using DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, so that you
link the gcc runtime.

Some things you can do to help diagnose:

See what your eleveldb is linked against.

otool -L
/Users/Humberto/riak-2.1.1/rel/riak/bin/../lib/eleveldb-2.1.0-0-ga36dbd6/priv/eleveldb.so

Because I build with clang/LLVM, I get:

        /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 104.1.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1213.0.0)

To see all the symbols in this library (with C++ demangled names -- OS X only),

prompt$ nm
/Users/Humberto/riak-2.1.1/rel/riak/bin/../lib/eleveldb-2.1.0-0-ga36dbd6/priv/eleveldb.so
 | c++filt

If I grep for basic_ostringstream (the symbol you are not finding), I get:

                 U std::basic_ostringstream<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >::basic_ostringstream(std::_Ios_Openmode)
                 U VTT for std::basic_ostringstream<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >

But I have a more basic question.  Why are you using GCC on OS X?  You really
should be using LLVM, which ships with the OS (well, once you install Xcode).

-Fred