Apologies if this is basic question, or one that's already been answered. I've done a fair amount of digging (e.g. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.riak.user/12808/focus=12816), but I'm still confused about the documentation regarding conflict resolution for riak's crdt counter. Specifically this: https://github.com/basho/basho_docs/blame/riak/2.1.1/source/languages/en/riak/theory/concepts/crdts.md#L238 (using the blame view to get a line number reference in markdown), which says:

"Counters | Each actor keeps an independent count for increments and decrements; upon merge, the pairwise maximum of the counts for each actor will win (e.g. if one count for an actor holds 172 and the other holds 173, 173 will win upon merge)"

This makes it sound to me like an increment from one of the actors gets dropped. Fingers crossed this isn't actually what happens.

I think this is saying the same thing that the cdrt paper (section 3.1.2 State-based increment-only Counter (G-Counter) of https://hal.inria.fr/file/index/docid/555588/filename/techreport.pdf) says -- that increments that happen during a partition eventually resolve correctly. I could use a more step-by-step illustration though -- pairwise maximum of the counts for each actor is a little dense.

Apologies for ugly formatting, but an example like this would make more sense to me.

- actor a increments counter
  a {a: 1}                   b {}

- actor b increments counter
  a {a: 1}                   b {b: 1}

- a merges b's info
  a {a: 1, b: 1}             b {b: 1}

- b merges a's info
  a:{a: 1, b: 1}             b {a: 1, b: 1}

so eventually this all resolves such that a and b both increment the counter by 2, right? Is this how riak's crdt counter works? If so I'll breathe a sigh of relief and make a pull request against the docs if you like.

Thanks much for your help.

-DB