Hi Saran,

I have a 5 node AWS c3.2xlarge instance cluster running ubuntu 14.04lts and I have my solr set to the below (yeah I know, but -Xmx will never get the full 16g's!) ;

search.solr.jvm_options = -d64 -Xms1g -Xmx16g -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=8m -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=200
    -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts

I changed out the default Java and load  1.8.45 (jdk-8u45-linux-x64.tar.gz)

Solr will spin up just find and process heavy queries under load like a champ.

Maybe on a smaller instances changing out the the default Java to 1.8.45+ and setting -Xms and -Xmx accordingly would work for you?

Also, check console.log for errors regarding solr.

Lastly, make sure the proper ports are open for solr to communicate across your nodes. ( search.solr.jmx_port = 8985 )

Robert