Hey Henning,

Almost everything is stored in bitcask, but for some
> progress-information-items, we are using the memory backend with
> automatic expiration. Thus, the multibackend is being configured
> (app.config for the old nodes, riak.conf for the new nodes). In the
> past, I have configured bucket properties in Java (here in
> riak-java-client 2 syntax):

> Is this equivalent to specifying a bucket type?

Not exactly, that code will set the backend for that bucket, which is in
the default bucket type.
If you need to specify a bucket-type, it's just an extra parameter on the
Namespace ctor:

Namespace ns = new Namespace(bucketType, bucketName);

If you'd like everything in a bucket-type to be on the memory backend, you
should be able to specify that backend in the bucket type properties when
creating it with riak-admin. The bucket type'd namespace wont' be available
to the old Riak nodes though :/

 How does a cluster behave where some nodes have the multibackend

configured (in riak.conf), and others not (because you forgot)?
> What happens if you configure the multibackend afterwards? Is the
> bucket with all its data being migrated? Can you detect in which
> *backend* an object is located?

Anything without the multibackend config should automatically save/load to
whatever the configured (or default) backend is.   If you configure it
afterwards, the data won't be available b/c it's on a backend it's now not
configured for.

If you need to move it, it's possible to use Multi-backend + a temp bucket
to move the data from the old backend to the new one - it's a bit of a
procedure though.

Thanks,
Alex