Hi Fred,

Thanks for the pointer! 'cursorMark' is a lot more performant alright,
though apparently it doesn't suit our use case.

I've written a loop function using OTP's httpc that reads each page, gets
the cursorMark and repeats, and it returns all 147 pages with consistent
times in the 40-60ms bracket which is an excellent improvement!

I would have been asking about the effort involved in making the protocol
buffers client support this, but instead our GUI guys insist that they need
to request a page number as sometimes they want to start in the middle of a
set of data.

So I'm almost back to square one.
Can you shed any light on the internal workings of SOLR that produce the
slow-down in my original question?
I'm hoping I can find a way to restructure my index data without having to
change the higher-level API's that I support.

Cheers,
//Sean.