Hello Gang,

For your perusing this weekend we’ve got a few announcements along with the
always informative mailing list recap. New bits to download while you enjoy
fall weather (not if you live in Texas though…)

As always, let us know your thoughts: If you’re working on or speaking
about something Riak related and would like a mention, let me know. I’ll
get your talk, project or blog post in the next Riak Recap. I know a guy.

## Announcements

   -

   Riak Spark Connector 1.6.0 [0] brings a number of feature enhancements
   and a wealth of documentation [1]. If you’re working with either Riak or
   Spark, take a look at how you can work with both of them together.
   -

   Riak Mesos Framework 1.3.0 [2] gets bumped to Mesos 1.0 support among a
   number of other enhancements. Take a look at the latest Scheduler [3],
   Executor [4], and Explorer [5] under the hood.
   -

   Gordon Guthrie, esteemed Basho engineer, delivers a talk at Erlang User
   Conference [6] entitled “From NoSQL to Mo' SQL - Adding Structure and
   Queriability to Riak” [7]. An in depth background on Riak TS from the fount
   himself.
   -

   The Riak IoT Roadshow [8] is coming to a city near you. Come learn about
   IoT and how you can service those use cases with Riak TS:
   -

      Chicago, Sept 27th [9]
      -

      Stockholm, Sept 27th [10]
      -

      London, October 5th [11]
      -

      Atlanta, October 6th [12]

## Jobs at Basho

Interested in working on distributed computing related problems or helping
our community with theirs? We’re hiring, here are a few of our open
positions. Check out the rest [13].

   -

   Client Services Engineer (London) [14].
   -

   Developer Advocate EMEA (London) [15].
   -

   Developer Advocate (US) [16].
   -

   Solution Architect (SF) [17].

(Yes, a number of these positions are remote.)

## Recently Answered

   -

   Kyle Nguyen is working through some certificate based auth issues with
   the Java client [18]. Luke Bakken and others provide a bunch of interesting
   ssl debug information in this thread.
   -

   Travis Kirstine is looking for ways to speed up bulk loading [19].
   Matthew von-Maszewski [20] links an interesting article on Erlang VM
   scheduler optimization [21], Guido Medina considers adjusting some tunable
   parameters [22] and I want to confirm that the load is being distributed
   through a proxy [23].
   -

   Ricardo Mayerhofer want to process data from Riak KV with Amazon ML by
   exporting data into a csv file and store it in S3 [24]. Matt Digan reminds
   us that Riak KV does not support full bucket scan natively but recommends
   Riak TS or a 2i index in KV [25].
   -

   Sean McEvoy is interested in searching strings with spaces in them [26].
   Not entirely as trivial as one would hope [27] [28].
   -

   Alan got an odd error when using the PHP client [29]. Luke reminds us
   that certain KV features are not supported in TS [30], yet…
   -

   Weixi Yen writes in with an issue with multiple copies of an object
   getting returned in Solr queries [31]. This is what happens when you query
   the Solr nodes directly [32]. Don’t do that :(
   -

   Joris van Agtmaal is working to access a Riak TS cluster from a Zeppelin
   notebook [33]. The trick, because there always is one, is to load the uber
   jar [34][35].
   -

   Alex De la rosa wants to secure Riak behind a firewall [36]. John Daily
   links the security page of our documentation [37] and Alex succinctly
   summarizes it [38] for confirmation.
   -

   As a follow up, Magnus Kessler lets Alex know that the correct place to
   limit Erlangs dist ports is in riak.conf [39].
   -

   Vipin Sharma finds an issue in how Riak implements coverage queries in
   conjunction with cursor mark queries in Solr [40]. Fred Dushin notes that
   this is an area for improvement in Riak potentially involving pinning a
   coverage plan to a query [41].

## Open Discussions

   -

   Guillaume Boddaert is looking for info on re-indexing Solr indexies
   [42], Fred Dushin fills in some details [43]. Still, questions remain [44] .
   -

   Anthony Valenti is asking if someone’s gotten Hadoop to access Riak CS
   via S3 [45].
   -

   John is looking for info on memory reclamation when using the memory
   backend and max memory setting [46].
   -

   Travis Kirstine is looking for help with enotconn errors in Riak when
   connecting through haproxy [47].
   -

   Matthew Daiter asks for some help getting Riak CS up on NixOS [48].
   Anybody out there have NixOS experience?
   -

   Sean McEvoy wants to get some more performance out of paginated queries
   in Solr [49]. Fred Dushin lets us know that cursor marks are the way to go
   [50]. Unfortunately, the front-end guys always want more [51].
   -

   Lingesh is getting an error when starting Riak and enabling AAE due to
   100% i/o utilization [52].
   -

   Following up on previous Solr query, cursor mark and coverage plan
   discussions, Guillaume Boddaert opens a new line of questioning around
   tuning the coverage plan itself [53].

Have a fantastic weekend,

-Alexander Sicular

Solution Architect, Basho