Hi,
I'm using the Java client via protocol buffers to Riak.
(Actually I'm using it via Scala 2.11.8 on OpenJDK 8)

After calling client.shutdown(), there is always a delay of 4 seconds
before the app actually exits. Why is this, and what can I do about it?

To demonstrate the issue, use these files:
https://gist.github.com/TJC/9a6a174cb1419a7c32e8018c5a495e3d

If you put both of them in a fresh directory and then run "sbt", it should
grab various dependencies and stuff, and then you can use "compile" and
"run" commands.
(You'll need to do "export RIAK_SERVER=my.riak.cluster.net" in the shell
before you run sbt)

If you do "run" a few times, you'll see it always takes four seconds to get
back to the sbt prompt. If you comment out the two riak statements in the
source code (the connection and shutdown), then "run" a few times, it takes
zero seconds.

I've tested this outside of sbt and the same issue exists.. it's just
easier to make a quick demo that works inside sbt.

Also reported as https://github.com/basho/riak-java-client/issues/689

Cheers
Toby