Damion,

I will explain what happened.

ring_size = 8:  The default ring_size is 64.  It is based on the recommendation
of five servers for a minimum cluster.  You stated you are using only one
machine.  64 divided by 5 is 12.8 vnodes per server ... and ring size needs to
be a power of 2.  So next smaller power of 2 from 12 is 8.

leveldb.limited_developer_mem = on:  leveldb allocates certain memory buffer
size per vnode (ring_size).  This setting reduces the size of those buffers by
10x.

The two settings squash the memory requirements to give you a better
opportunity for happiness with both search and riak on a single server.

Matthew