Hi Fred,

Thanks for taking the time!
Yes, I noticed that unbalance yesterday when writing, looked into it after
sending and found our config is corrupt with one node ommitted and another
in there twice.
But, with such low traffic levels and the spikes being on the non-favoured
node I'm not currently ranking that as a likely factor.

Another interesting case from last night, this sample was taken at
2017-6-23 06:04:09

Riak node 1
"search_query_throughput_one": 27
"search_query_latency_max": 10417

Riak node 2
"search_query_throughput_one": 49
"search_query_latency_max": 8952

Riak node 3
"search_query_throughput_one": 18
"search_query_throughput_count": 2507
"search_query_latency_min": 1757
"search_query_latency_median": 14775
"search_query_latency_mean": 5628361
"search_query_latency_max": 18298854
"search_query_latency_999": 18298854
"search_query_latency_99": 18298854
"search_query_latency_95": 16539782

Riak node 4
"search_query_throughput_one": 25
"search_query_latency_max": 10217

Brushing up my maths and focussing on node 3, from the 99 & 95% figures we
can tell the 2 slowest response times were 18,298 & 16,539ms, 34,837 ms in
total.
And from the request count for the minute & the mean we can tell that in
total these 18 requests spent a total of 101,310 ms being processed.
>From the median & min we know the 9 quickest took between 18 & 265 ms in
total.
This leaves in the region of 66 sec for the other 7 requests, enough for
all 7 to have timed out.

Cross referencing with our application logs I can see:

On application node 1 at 2017-06-23 06:03:17 we had 3 search request
timeouts to index A with 3 different filters, one field of which, lets call
it field X, had the same value.
We immediately retried these and at 2017-06-23 06:03:19 2 of those timed
out again and were retried again.
They all succeeded on this retry, so this suggests that the same requests
sent to other riak nodes was fine, but to this riak node at this time was a
problem.

On application node 2 at:
2017-06-23 06:03:27
2017-06-23 06:03:29
2017-06-23 06:03:31
2017-06-23 06:03:33

we had 4 more timeouts on search requests to index A, these requests had 2
different filters but in both cases field X had the same value as in the
previous example.

So these application logs show 9 riak timeouts, that must correlate with
the riak stats.
I can't definitively say that no other search requests went to this riak
node between 06:03:15 & 06:03:33 but the circumstantial evidence is that it
had a problem for 18 seconds, which is quiet a big window.

The index that all these requests were directed at currently has 490K
entries with 8 different fields defined in each. The corresponding riak
bucket has allow_mult = false, if that's relevant.

We see a similar pattern on our test system, I'm going to setup a test to
repeatedly do searches and see if I can trigger this consistently. Will let
ye know if anything interesting comes out of it.

I know it's relatively new to the product, do we know is riak solr used
much in production systems?
I assume no one else has seen these spikes?

//Sean.