FREEWARE  SUGGESTIONS  SOUGHT!!!
Subject:
        Rietveld and other questions
   Date:
        Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:15:11 -0500
   From:
        MariaLouisa Lao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     To:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    CC:
        "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Dr. Le Bail -

Thank you for pointing the site for the Rietveld freewares.  However, I
am a novice at the concept of crystallography.

1- I am interested to do `quantitative analysis' of the phases (or
components) present in my sample.  I presently use a Rigaku Portable XRD

with a Jade Ver3.1 software for data optimization. Jade is manufactured
by MDI (Materials Data Inc).  Their advise is to use a freeware(see
correspondence with them below).   Would you know of anyone who has
something similar to Rietquan (Dr. Lutteroti's Rietveld software;
http://www.ing.unitn.it/~luttero/) ? FulProf appears to be very
invovled.  My time is rather limited - and a freeware with the shortest
learning curve is more than adequate.

2- Would you be able to point me to reference or book that discusses the

concept of  FOM (Figure of Merit) that is used by Search/Match softwares

within a powder diffraction analysis?

Could you please post this query in the Bulletin Board? (I could not
seem to locate that site from this computer).

Thank you for your attention.
Louisa Lao
http://www.hfmi.stevens-tech.edu

++++++++ (correspondence with MDI)

I'm on travel and don't have access to earlier email. Quant analysis via

Jade
requires 1) Jade 2) Plug-in Quant module 3) Sept. '98 ICDD database.
Prices
for 1) and 2) have no discount available. ICDD discounts their database
for
academic use, contact ICDD directly. If all you wish to do is quant, the

above
is quite expensive. It provides far more than just quant, however. My
choice
for quant only would be Riqas if the user is comfortable with
structures,
space groups, etc. but may need occasional technical support. If you
have
local resources for tech support or someone you can turn to for
assistance,
one of the codes avaliable via the web may be the answer. As we don't
use
these codes, you will get better information from someone who does and
who has
the same sort of problems to solve.
Regards,
Q. Johnson