>If you must send binary pics, at least make them compressed gifs (vastly
>smaller). In this case an asci file would have been perfectly adequate.

Some databases do not allow saving the data as ASCII files :
CRYSTMET, ICDD PDF through PDFWin... I make sreen copies
when I have to send PDF data to co-workers. certainly not TIFF,
but GIF, and with sufficiently high resolution (1024x768 minimum).

Voluntarily this impossibility to save ASCII files ?-).
My usual paranoïa...

You can fortunately save ASCII data with ICSD, CSD,
otherwise, try to imagine that you would have to rebuild by hands
the coordinates of, say, 100 atoms. Even scanning and using
an OCR program is tedious.

Armel Le Bail
http://sdpd.univ-lemans.fr/course/