With all the file converters floating around, what are the chances that we
are going to proliferate files with corrupted formats? I have gotten some
files already that were supposed to be "GSAS files" but didn't have 80
columns, had blank lines, etc., and I assume they were made by file
converters that created the wrong format. Has anybody else run into this?

Once saw a case where an x,y,esd file was converted into an x,y file in GSAS format, throwing away the esd information. This was a shame as it screwed up the refinement statistics. A collection of open source converters could indeed be a blessing, particularly when that makes it easier for data to be produced in a suitable format at the earliest possible time, avoiding potential mishaps when converting later.

Jon