Picking up on Bob’s point.

As an author of a commercial program I don’t see the world coming to an
end. In this melodramatic discussion the idea of encouraging young
scientists to write the type of software that the community is demanding
is fraught with difficulty. Unless of course a scientist can be found
who enjoys drawing bitmaps.

A hobby is supposed to be related to an activity that is enjoyable. In
the days of command line programs it was possible to concentrate on the
part I consider enjoyable, the algorithms, and to still function as a
scientist in crystallography.

In the present day and from my experience computer literacy is in fact
decreasing rather than increasing. If a modern program did not comprise
colorful buttons, context sensitive help, ease of use, very little
thought in regards to its use then that program no matter how brilliant
in the algorithmic sense would find it difficult to survive.

XFIT a public domain program that I wrote in 6 months has been heavily
used and I suspect that the reason is not just because of the numeric
algorithms but more for the GUI and the computing science ideas behind
it.

Bob’s work is exceptional in the algorithmic sense, to then demand
computing science ideas and bells and whistles without institutional
support is an anathema.

Thus my advice to those who seek to encourage your scientist to write
more than scientific algorithms is to do so with support and respect.

alan