At least, in the classical article by Peter Stephens (J. Appl. Cryst., 32,
281) it is written about this and similar approaches that "these methods
have been successful in producing improved line-shape fits, even though no
theoretical justification or microscopic model has been given".
The description is given in the GSAS manual.
I asssume this is a phenomenological treatment, which appears quite
reasonable and convenient... By the way, GSAS has Stephens' formulation as
well.
Sincerely,                                      Maxim.

> i have a question about the GSAS software. Indeed, i would like to know
>what are exactly the L11, L22, L33....L23 parameters. I saw that these
>parameters represent the anisotropic microstrain in material. Moreover,
>there is an empirical expression which uses these parameters as following :
>
>   L22*k^2 + L33*l^2 + 2*L12*hk + 2*L13*hl + 2*L23*kl
>
> I would like to know and understand the physical representation of these
>parameters and this expression.

Maxim V. Lobanov
Department of Chemistry
Rutgers University