This was my first answer to his problem.

Dear Charles,

similar problems turned up on the Rietveld list previously. Some time ago I gave a
detailed answer to a problem which can be solved in a similar way
look at

giving also two references.
However, I think your problem is simpler than the previous problem, but please ask
once more if the old mail does not clear up your problem.

Best regards
Andreas

ling yang wrote:

I have the same question, so post his question here:
Dears all,
In the structural refinement of ABO3 type, e.g. A1-xCxB1-yCyO3 using GSAS.
The dopant (atom C) may be occupied two atomic sites, A and B. Therefore the
occupancy constraint should be considered. In order to perform the
structural refinement of A1-xCxB1-yCyO3 allowing the occupancies of atom C
in the A and B sites to be varied but the total occupancy of atom C must be
fixed. How can I define the linear constrain in GSAS?
The constraints set as follows, and then how to define the other constraint
(g4+g5=fixed)?
Would you give me any advice?

# Atom   x  y  z  g
#1 A     x1 y1 z1  g1
#2 B     x2 y2 z2  g2
#3 O     x3 y3 z3  g3
#4 C     x1 y1 z1  g4
#5 C     x2 y2 z2  g5

#Phase  variable atom no. coeff
1       frac        1    1
1       frac        4   -1
1       frac        2    1
1       frac        5   -1

Thanks in advance,
Charles

-- Dr. Andreas Leineweber Max-Planck-Institut fuer Metallforschung Heisenbergstrasse 3 70569 Stuttgart Germany

Telephone: +49 (0)711 689 3365
Telefax: +49 (0)711 689 3312
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mf.mpg.de/de/abteilungen/mittemeijer/english/index_english.htm