-----Original Message-----
From: Darin Hoffman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To any one that can help:

I am performing a rietveld refinement using GSAS on x-ray data of a rod
material.  I have thus far been able to make a good fit by simply attaining
the Particle size and strain broadening.  The data so far matches close to
what I expect.  I am using the type 2 pseudo-Voigt profile and have been
trying to refine my fit with as few variables as possible.  I have just
recently started using the GSAS program so I have tried to use only the
variables I know well.  Mainly the size and strain parameters.  I tried for
my own curiosity to refine the Gamma variables
(Gamma11,22,33,12,13,23).  This has improved my refinement to a Rwp=0.14
rather than a Rwp=0.3.  Since this has improved my fit I think I am using
the variables correctly.  So my question is:

1)  What is the physical representation of these variables the gamma
variable?  The GSAS manual describes them as the empirical extension of the
microstrain anisotropy.  I know that they put weighting on the (h,k,l)
coordinates to deal with line broadening but how do I know they are
weighting them correctly for my hexagonal lattice?

2)From the GSAS manual (gamma=y):
                         yl=y11(h^2)+y22(k^2)+y33(l^2)+2*y12(hk)+2*y13(hl)+2*y23(kl)

         What does this equation mean?

3) This question is on a slightly different subject: I know my material is
cylindrical in shape is there a way to input this orientation into
GSAS?  Can someone give me a good reference in how to use either the
March-Dollase Preferred Orientation or the Spherical Orientation?

Thank you to who ever can help me solve these problems.

-Darin Hoffman

Darin Hoffman
Research Intern, NPDF
Lujan Neutron Scattering Center