Dear Bob and Jon,

one reply from the public is: come to share your and to get other ideas to the meeting Size-Strain IV (http://www.xray.cz/s-s4/), a satelite workshop of the EPDIC-9 (http://www.xray.cz/epdic/), end of this summer in Prague.

The thinks can be even more complex: The supperposition of narrow and broad peaks can come not only from the size-strain symmetry lower than Laue symmetry (Andreas's example for the polycrystal), but also from a non-homogeneous distribution of lattice defects (for example dislocations), even in the monocrystal.

See you in Prague

Radovan

Von Dreele, Robert B. a écrit:

Jon,
I risk a public reply here. One possibility everyone should be open to is that a real phase change has
occured during some experimental manipulation of your sample. Some phase changes are quite subtle and
involve only slight (and at first sight) quite odd line broadening. Higher resolution study sometimes
reveals a splitting of these peaks which is then taken as a sign of a phase change. However, without this
the linebroadening is sometimes well described by various anisotropic models (and sometimes not!).
Historically, one only need reflect on the work done over many years on various high Tc superconductors
and their relatives to know what I mean. Andreas does have the right idea about random powders but solid
polycrystalline materials (e.g. metal bars) are a different matter especially if they have been
"worked" because the various crystallites are no longer in "equal" environments.
Fortunately, the kind of stuff that happens in metals is generally much less of a problem i!
n the other kinds of materials one studies by powder diffraction so models used in
Rietveld refinements can be rather simplified.
Bob Von Dreele