Dear Patrick, dear Friedrich,

the problem of pseudo(metric)symmetry leads to severe and systematic overlap of  non-equivalent reflections in powder diffraction patterns. These reflections could be measured  independently from a (non-twinned ) single crystal. The same problem exists in a non-avoidable way for low-symmetry Laue classes of a certain crystal system, e.g. 4/m in the tetragonal system.
Thus the number of independent determinable reflections (e.g. by a Pawley fit) is lower than the number calculated by "counting the reflection markers". Often these overlapping reflections may even contain the decisive
information about the deviation from the higher symmetry.
I think at least some of the aspects are dealt with in the following papers:

The number of good reflections in a powder pattern
D. S. Sivia
J. Appl. Cryst. (2000). 33, 1295±1301

On the number of independent reflections in a powder diffraction pattern
W. I. F. David
J. Appl. Cryst. (1999). 32, 654±663

Best regards
Andreas

Mercier, Patrick wrote:
Has anyone provided comments on Friedrich W. Karau's recent e-mail:

" the Rietveld refinement of pseudosymmetric structures can cause some
artefacts. Does someone know some literature, where these artefacts are
explained in detail? Especially problems of the Rietveld refinement of
pseudosymmetric sodalites (pseudo centered structures, pseudo cubic
structures, significant deviation of bond length (...)) are welcome."

I would also be interested by this topic.

Best regards,
-Patrick

------
Patrick H.J. Mercier, Ph.D., P.Phys., ing. jr
Canadian Government Laboratory Visiting Fellow
National Research Council Canada
Institute for Chemical Process and Environmental Technology
1200 Montreal Road, Building M-12, Room 211
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0R6
Tel: (613) 993-7752 Fax: (613) 991-2384
the Rietveld refinement of pseudosymmetric structures can cause some
artefacts. Does someone know some literature, where these artefacts are
explained in detail? Especially problems of the Rietveld refinement of
pseudosymmetric sodalites (pseudo centered structures, pseudo cubic
structures, significant deviation of bond length (...)) are welcome.

Further I am interested in your opinion about the "Distance Least
Squares Procedure" to avoid these artefacts.

Thank you in advance
Friedrich

--
Dr. Andreas Leineweber
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Metallforschung

Telephone: +49 (0)711 689 3365
Telefax: +49 (0)711 689 3312
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mf.mpg.de/de/abteilungen/mittemeijer/english/index_english.htm