HI All,
It has been shown that when incorporating a priori information, Bayesian
approach is the logically the most consistent (Cox 1946), since it conserves
the probabilities and all information (Jaynes 2004). Least squares is a special
and limited case of Bayesian applications. There are many more mathematical
proof which demonstrate this. In addition, combining Bayes' theorem and entropy
function, produces the most consistent solution, from the set of solutions.
That is, the solution which has the least assumptions (Boltzman demonstrated
this almost 100 years ago!!). Again there are many other (general) mathematical
proofs which demonstrate this.

Hence, we have developed a method that ensures the information and
probabilities are conserved. Moreover, it has a firm mathematical and physical
basis. The use of a priori information, represents one's hypothesis, assumption
and/or belief. By using Bayes' theorem,  hypothesis, assumption and/or beliefs
are quantified using probabilities relative to the experimental data and
noise/uncertainty. Please take note of the last point!

In addition, when applying Bayesian/MaxEnt model selection to size
distributions, we are *not* fitting the noise/instrument or secondary effects.
(I've been very care to check this. See above paragraph.) In the case of
profile function fitting, I strongly suggest seeing Sivia (1996). He points how
this can be done for line profile functions like Gaussian, Lorentzian (and
presume Voigts....).

About errors in the size distributions. The size of error-bars determined from
the Bayesian/MaxEnt method represent the qualtity of the data, how well the
background is estimated, and generally the poor conditioning of the size
distribution problem. This last point is critical. That is, the problem is
ill-conditioned  and explains why many possible solutions can "fit" the data.
Another way to look at it is that the Bayesian/MaxEnt error-bars represent a
"slice" through the probability density function in the solution space, and
represent the "population" of solutions which can fit the data within the 68%
probability region. However, by using the entropy function we can always be
sure there exist one and only solution with a maximum entropy relative to the
experimental data etc... (again see the many mathematical proofs...). With a
least squares approach this is not always the case.

Best Regards, Nick
ps. I agree, it is inappropriate to use the email group to request Journal
articles.

                 Dr Nicholas Armstrong
                NIST-UTS Research Fellow
(in Australia) UTS, Department of Applied Physics
University of Technology,Sydney    * Location: Bld 1,Level 12,Rm1217
P.O Box 123                        * Ph:        (+61-2) 9514-2203
Broadway NSW 2007                  * Fax:       (+61-2) 9514-2219
Australia                          * E-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(in USA) NIST, Ceramics Division
National Institute of Standards and Technology * Fax: (+1-301) 975-5334
100 Bureau Dr. stop 8520                       *
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8523    USA             *