Title: Message
Nicolae
>To resume, I think (for example) that is better to approximate by a sum of
>three Lorentzians (involving 4 profile parameters) than by a sum of two
>pVs (involving 5 profile parameters).

I couldnt agree more.

>Concerning the numerical calculation of the profiles, still I'm not convinced
>that is the ideal solution. You have not only the size profile to calculate,
>but also at least two convolutions, with the strain and the instrumental
>profiles. Moreover, what are doing the codes that use the gradient
>calculated analytically?

Size distribution is a start and Leonie does seem to have worked in some of the other effects to his credit.

Whether all this actually helps in the analysis of Size/Strain does not seem to concern many - so why not experiment.

By gradient, I presume you mean the derivatives of the distribution with respect to parameters. This would require a mixture of numerical and analytical derivatives - very simpe using the chain rule. Dont see why the same cant be done in other codes.

all the best
alan