From: Madsen, Ian (Minerals, Clayton)
Sent: Wednesday, 3 October 2007 10:41
To: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: RE: Density calculations for amorphous products

Dear Maria,

We are also working on methods for determination of amorphous material.
Can you please send me the full reference to the paper you quoted in
your message.

I urge great caution in the application of the Brindley model for
correction of your QPA. Since the microabsorption correction is based on
(MU - MUaverage)*R where MU is the linear absorption coefficient (LAC)
of the phase and MU average is the LAC of the mixture and R is the
particle radius.  In your case MU and MUaverage should be the same (due
to having the same/similar chemistry) and only differ because of packing
density. Any difference in particle size may induce some microabsorption
issues, but estimation of the correct value of R is problematic at best.

The recent round robin on quantitative phase analysis highlighted the
fact that while microabsorption is the greatest impediment to accuracy
in QPA, misuse of the Brindley model frequently served to degrade,
rather than improve, accuracy.

Cheers

o----------------------oo0oo---------------------------o
     Ian Madsen
     Team Leader - Diffraction Science
     CSIRO Minerals
     Box 312
     Clayton South 3169
     Victoria
     AUSTRALIA
     Phone +61 3 9545 8785 direct
                 +61 3 9545 8500 switch
                 +61 (0) 417 554 935 mobile
     FAX    +61 3 9562 8919
     Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>