*From:* Peter Y. Zavalij [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*Sent:* November 15, 2007 9:07 PM
*To:* rietveld_l@ill.fr
*Subject:* Amorphous content

Hi,

I am trying to determine amorphous content using Rietveld refinement and internal standard. However resulting content of amorphous phase is really unrealistic.

Moreover testing the method using standards with known amorphous content does not clarify the situation. For example ZnO (NIST, 95% crystallinity) used as standard to determine amorphous content in CeO2 (also NIST standard with 91% crystallinity) yield 25% of amorphous phase which is a little bit too much comparing with expected 9%.

We tested several different standards, mixtures and preparations, different diffractometers and software without much luck... Seems like something simple is missing...

Any clues?

Many thanks,

Peter Zavalij

X-ray Crystallographic Laboratory