Dear Kurt,
The only thing that I remember is to change cos(2theta) of monochromator in polarization factor or precisely calculate the polarization factor for n-reflection in the monochromator.
Regards
Sasaki

Kurt Leinenweber escreveu:
Hi All,

I am attempting to assist others to choose a new powder x-ray
diffractometer.  We are currently looking at a Panalytical X'Pert Pro in
alpha-1 configuration, and I would like to know if anyone has any
experience with this for Rietveld refinements?  For other reasons we
would like to keep the sample flat, but then we could not use the
alpha-1 configuration, so instead we would consider a "hybrid"
monochromator - I would like to ask if this monochromator makes it
impossible to do Rietveld?  Also, any other insights and suggestions for
systems that are competitive with these would be welcome.  We are at an
early stage and have time to think about this, will be looking at other
possibilities, and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Incidentally, I received some data on quartz (supplied by me) from the
alpha-1, and refined it using GSAS.  The refined structural and thermal
parameters are fine, but I get strange r-factors, with wRp of 25% and
crystallographic R also near 25%, chi**2 of 0.5.  Does anyone know why
this might happen?  With my old Siemens D5000 I easily get down to 10%
or better in the r-factors right away, so something obvious must be
wrong.

Thank you,

                                - Kurt Leinenweber

--
Dr. José Marcos Sasaki (professor associado)