Polymers are not a good example for the spiking method as it is
difficult to find a standard with a good absorption match (although
diamond and LiF are possibilities), people don't usually hand them to
you as nice micron-sized powders (poor particle stats on a lab system),
and a few other issues.

The business about getting a standard with a known crystallinity is an
issue, but not as unsurmountable as it seems.  Firstly SRM676 and
SRM676a have certified crystallinity values with errors of +-1%.  Given
the likely errors in subsequent lab determinations is quite large this
isn't as much of a problem as it first seems.  If you need a standard
with higher absorption than corundum there is SRM674a which has a range
of materials.  SRM674a has values listed as 'phase purity' as opposed to
crystallinity, but as the values were determined from diffraction
measurements they may be pretty much equivalent to the crystallinity
(Bob might know more as I believe he was involved in the work).

As far as paracrystalline materials I wouldn't bother with this
technique as the concept of crystallinity becomes a bit arbitrary and
almost meaningless in extreme cases.  For a lot of these materials
(layered ones especially) looking at microstructure in terms of density
of stacking faults should get you a lot further in understanding what's
going on.

Pam