Jae-Ho Chung wrote:
Dear experts on Rietveld with x-ray,

When it comes to Rietveld, I have exclusively been working with neutrons. Now I am just trying Rietveld with x-rays, and immediately came up with a question. Since x-ray scatters from electrons, it seems to me that we always have to use, for instance, O-2 instead of O, and so on, for ionic compounds. But I have an impression that O is still used in many examples, including certain example files given in GSAS, such as Y2O3.EXP. Why is it?

I suggest that you plot the scattering curves for O and O-2, and then decide how much difference it makes. In addition, you should also postulate a theory concerning the differences. Hint: The electron cloud is not a "point object".

As a naturally following question, since no material is perfectly ionic, the oxidation numbers may become another “refinable” parameters. But I suppose they are never refinable in GSAS or in FullProf. Therefore, I suppose the fractional occupation may be compromised instead? Is this in any way discussed among x-ray experts?

See above. What experiment would you propose to make the oxidation number be refinable?

Larry