On May 8, 2008, at 12:30 AM, May, Frank wrote:

You can check for texture effects (preferred orientation) by obtaining multiple patterns of the material. It's realistic to expect some differences, but preferred orientation is manifest by not being able to replicate the pattern.

Not true,

preferred orientation or texture are perfectly reproducible, provided you use the same sample orientation. What is not reproducible and probably what Frank May is referring to is not preferred orientation but graininess or few big grains that do not guarantee the correct statistic. So if you need to check for graininess, you just move a little your sample, so the beam covers a different area on the sample. If you think you have texturte, to check for it you have to change the sample orientation to see a change. Beware that in a Bragg-Brentano instrument turning around the axis normal to the sample surface is not a valid change in orientation as nothing will change for texture; you have to change the sample inclination instead (omega or chi).

        Best Regards,

                Luca Lutterotti

That's the simple test.  Let us know what you find.

Another issue for "improper intensities" is when the specimen is not sufficiently wide enough at low angles (typically below 20-degrees 2- Theta with copper radiation) and the x-ray beam does not fully impinge on the specimen. The observed reflections in the low angle region will be less than calculated by a modelling program.

Frank May
Research Investigator
University of Missouri - St. Louis
One University Boulevard