I would suggest that you use a powder like LaB6 to measure the instrumental broadening. The size of the crystalline domains is large enough, and the strain low enough, that the material contribution to broadening is negligible when compared to the instrumental broadening of a typical powder diffractometer.

Some helpful references in modeling peak broadening are:

Stephens,  J. Appl. Crystallogr.  V32, pp 281-289.  1999
LW Finger, DE Cox, and AP Jephcoat. J. Appl. Crystallogr. V27 pp 892-900 (1994)

Good Luck,

David Lee, Ph.D.
DTLee Scientific, llc
http://www.dtlee.com