Dear Gumelar Pritosiwi,

There are two independent topics in your question. If you are using a well
calibrated conventional diffractometer to determine your cell parameters
then you don’t need an internal standard. That would be useful if you,
additionally, need to do a quantitative phase analysis.

In a conventional machine with sealed tube source the cell parameters
determination can be done easily in the case of cubic magnetite, because you
already know the incident wavelength and d-spacings for the observed maxima
are linearly related to “a” cell parameter by d(hkl)=a/sqrt(h^2+k^2+l^2).

Programs such as FULLPROF, GSAS, TOPAS, etc. are meant for Rietveld
refinement, that is something a little bit more complex than cell parameters
determination, although most of these programs have additional routines
(peak search and indexing in Winplotr) that can help determine cell
parameters of an unknown phase, or in your case, of the magnetite you are
studying. You can also try full profile fit (LeBail or Pawley methods) to
extract best possible cell parameters provided your data is of enough
quality and you are willing to cope with profile shapes, background
modeling, etc. (too complicated to start with in my opinion).

If you use data with internal standard for lattice parameters determination
you may choose to ignore the internal standard peaks or just collect new
data on the raw material where you just see your magnetite peaks (be
careful, if your sample contains other crystalline materials you will need
to identify the extra peaks and avoid using them for the cell parameters
determination).

Free programs like checkcell will allow you to determine your cell
parameters by refinement of previously determined peak positions, other
programs like Winplotr, PowderX, etc will allow you to perform a peak search
and extract a peak list, other programs like CMPR can fit individual peaks
and output a list of fit results. Any of these (and many more) you can then
fit to obtain “a” using the abovementioned equation. There are probably many
more free programs to do either thing more or less automatically so you
should check the www or ccp14 site for information.

If your magnetite show any kind of structural distortion this may be a bit
more complex, but in that case you’ll need to check some crystallography
book to get a better idea of what can you do with your powder diffraction
data and how can you do it. A good book for beginners that gets all the way
up to complex stuff is “Fundamentals of Powder Diffraction and Structural
Characterization of Materials” by V.K. Pecharsky and P.Y. Zavalij edited by
Springer.

Hope this helps.

Leo

Dr. Leopoldo Suescun

Prof. Agr (Assoc. Prof.) de Física       Tel: (+598 2) 9290648/9249859

Cryssmat-Lab./DETEMA                             Fax: (+598 2) 9241906

Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de la Republica

  ,_.

  |  \

  |   v-

 ,'     \