Hi,

If you have an organic or organometalic compound you may also use the fact
that the average atomic volume is between 18 and 20 Å^3 almost independently
of the atomic species (except for H atoms) so you may get your experimental
atomic volume and divide it by 18 or 20 and extract the number of
non-hydrogen atoms and then divide by the expected formula unit (without H)
to get Z. In general that ratio should be equal to the number of asymmetric
units of your space group, except if your molecule got internal symmetry
compatible with the space group symmetry and Z will be a fraction of the
number of asymmetric units and the fraction will tell you the order of the
symmetry element where your molecule is located. If Z is larger than the
number of asymmetric units of your space group you may have more than one
independent molecule not related by space group symmetry in the asymmetric
unit. In the case of aducts or molecular units having solvent or other
co-crystals things get a bit complicated because the calculated Z may differ
a lot from an integer number so in that case you may need to guess a value
and try to solve the structure by itself.

Now, if you are talking about Z for a high symmetry inorganic compound
forget about having a number close to the number of asymmetric units of your
space group because in those cases most of the atoms lie on special
positions (symmetry elements) and Z may be any (small) number. Typically,
NaCl got Z=4 in a space group Fm3m with 192 A.U. while a cubic perovskite
ABO3 got Z=1 in Pm3m with 48 A.U. per cell.

In any case, there are probably a nice number of odd observations (Z values
very different from expected in the CCD, the ICSD, the COD and other
databases) that are clearly justified after the structure is analyzed, so
all these and other suggestions may work most of the time but you may just
have the exceptional structure in your hands, so keep your mind open.

Hope this helps too!
Leo

Dr. Leopoldo Suescun
Prof. Agr (Assoc. Prof.) de Física       Tel: (+598 2) 9290648/9249859
Cryssmat-Lab./DETEMA                             Fax: (+598 2) 9241906
Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de la Republica
  ,_.
  |  \
  |   v-
 ,'     \