DTLee Scientific, llc
http://www.dtlee.com
614-562-6230

On Jul 23, 2009, at 5:23 AM, Hinrichsen, Bernd wrote:

One intensity correction that is perhaps more realistic is surface roughness. This does have a vaguely similar angular dependence to the LP correction. This correction is generally only applied to highly absorbing samples in Bragg-Brentano (or generally reflection) setups. This would seem to be the case for the LaB6 measurement mentioned by Peter.

Greetings
Bernd

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Peter Y. Zavalij [mailto:pzava...@umd.edu]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. Juli 2009 05:52
An: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Betreff: RE: LP factor in the Rietveld refinement

Well... the situation with LP is not so simple. Using TOPAS for refinement data collected on D8 advance with Ni-filter and LynxEye detector I observe
the following:
- For all samples LP=0 is OK and gives the best fit as it should be by the
book.
- HOWEVER for LaB6 standard LP=0 yields very poor fit for several high angle reflections (>120 deg. 2theta) while LP=90 gives perfect fit. The difference
in R factors 12% and 4% cannot be simply ignored...

Can anyone explain this?

Peter Zavalij

X-ray Crystallographic Center
University of Maryland